Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Starting a New Project


I'm about to start a new project.

To provide some background, I am in IT Service Management (manager of computer services stuff), I write procedures and flow charts on how to best do a job that will produce an outcome that the business would be interested in knowing.

The project I am about to start brings together as many procedures and functions via their exsisting databases into a single database, for easy access and consolidated reporting... bored already?

If you are still reading then you might know of what I am talking about.
I am implementing a CMS (Configuration Management System) made up of at least 3 databases (CMDBs - Configuration Management Databases).

I am going to use a central Service Management tool that currently handles the Incident Management, Problem Management and Known Errors Database procedures, to act as the CMS interface of the multiple CMDBs, this will of course allow my Service Desk to easily link Incidents to CIs and Known Errors in the CMDB.

Once the CMS has been implemented I will then implement Change Management and Request Fulfilment Management into the same Service Management tool.

However this is looking like a very large elephant to me, does anyone have any suggestions, templates or checklists to getting started on this momentous task?

- If you are interested in this type of subject I will post regular updates on my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online